Flounder meunière, crab cakes, vegetable soup, and fennel gratin

Finally back in my kitchen. It seems I've gained ten pounds in two weeks. A lot had to do with trying to finish up stuff in the refrigerator before we left, and then a lot of carbs while up north. I'm trying to get back to our schedule of chicken (3), fish (2), meat (1), and vegetarian (1) - (days per week). My supermarket had fresh flounder that they scaled, filleted, and skinned for me. 


I had an urge for soup after all the carbs. I made a big pot of vegetable soup, which included butternut squash, celery, carrots, onion, some chopped fennel tops, potatoes, turnip, tomatoes, romano beans, corn, spinach, and peas. Garnished with evoo, grated parmesan, pepper, and parsley. Very good, but I've got like two gallons of it. 


Crab cakes - I never used canned crab before, but I wanted to try it. It wasn't bad. They were a little dry, but that might have been my adjusting the proportions of my recipe, which calls for a pound of crab, and the can had a net weight of four ounces.


Add the gratin to that, and it ended up to be a big dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog