I decided to make a taco salad. Longer story to follow, It came very good.
Let's start with that I was 25 when I had my first taco salad. I grew up Italian-American in the Northeast, but I had moved to the midwest for a job. Taco salad, green bean casserole, biscuits and gravy, pork tenderloin sandwiches were all new to me. I had never heard of ranch dressing. My partner is a Texan. I do the cooking and except for a few dishes, Midwestern and Texas food are not in my wheelhouse. That said, when I saw [R68];s post, I thought my partner would like it.
I really had a lot of stuff on hand, but as you might have guessed already, I can over complicate everything. Protein: Boneless skinless chicken thighs that I seasoned with Chevy's Fuego Spice mix that I made a while back and was still hanging around. My partner left an ear of corn behind from last night, so we grilled that too and cut the kernels off. Canned black beans that I mixed with some salsa, garlic, oil, cumin, and cilantro. Two avocados that I got for 4/$1.00! Quite good. Red onion that I sliced thin, and did a quick pickle with vinegar, salt, and sugar. Grape tomatoes. Shredded cheese. Romaine Lettuce. Pickled jalapenos, Tortilla chips. I made a ranch dressing that I mixed some salsa into for the salad dressing. Layered it all up. I have to say it was outstanding. My partner finished his and I was only a third of the way through mine. He declared it, "incredible." I included the ranch dressing recipe because it was the only recipe I used.
Comments
Post a Comment